Monday 18 April 2011

On Percy Jackson

I saw the movie Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief a long time ago. Watched it again a few days ago since I saw my DVD copy. And I've realized, I still have not decided whether or not this movie impressed me. And as of this writing, I still have not decided hahaha...

I'm a fan of movies based on books. But this one, I've never heard until i saw the trailer. And i researched to learn more about it. Wikipedia helped me with a lot of information and my curiosity got me! I wanted to watch the movie!

I was intrigued. Its premise is really interesting.... a teenager who finds out that he is a Demigod (half human, half Greek god) and a son of Poseidon. His life was threatened after being accused of stealing the lightning bolt of Zeus. He was then brought to Camp Half-Blood by Grover, his protector and best friend and meets Annabeth, the daughter of Athena. Then the 3 decided to go to the Underworld to talk to Hades to appeal for the life of his mother.

Interesting storyline, right. Interesting characters, as well. If I was still a kid, I'd be dreaming of being one of the characters of the movie. Or actually living the life of any characters haha...

I think the movie lacks 'magic.' The movie was telling a story but not in a magical way.. but in a story telling kind of way. I remember watching Harry Potter for the first time, I was enthralled! Who could forget Platform 9 3/4, the Sorting Hat, Invisibility Cloak, the moving images of frames and the Quidditch Match!

Percy Jackson did not also have a visually magical setting as compared to that of Harry Potter's. I guess, for me, interesting storyline should be coupled with interesting visual effects to complete the experience.

And Annabeth.. yeah the character Annabeth. A strategist and a person with great wisdom? Didn't feel it. But what can it actually do? Lemme check the book.

I guess the movie was just okay. It could have been great but it was just okay. If the other books will be made into a movie, then the people behind it should never forget about the 'magic' its story brings, especially if the book involves magic or witchcraft or anything outworldly. It can spell all the difference, trust me. But I'd still recommend this movie though. But don't expect too much.



0 comments:

Post a Comment