Sunday 16 January 2011

Dragons - Good Or Evil?

I remember sitting in a big circle on our special rug in my kindergarten class and listening to my teacher, Mrs. Tuttle, read us stories about big, mean, fire-breathing dragons and the strong, fearless knights in shining armor with the big sword that would come and kill the horrible beasts. There was always a pretty (and rich) princess that the knight would be rescuing and would later marry.

My childhood was full of damsels in distress and ferocious dragons. It was more than once that I asked my dad to check under the bed or in my closet to make sure there were no beasts in there.

When I was a little bit older, I learned about Hercules in Greek and Roman Mythology. Hercules, the son of Zeus and a mere mortal, slew the Hydra, the nine-headed serpentine dragon.

A few years later, I read Beowulf, albeit begrudgingly. Again in this story we find the greedy, evil beast of a dragon failing against our strong, honorable hero.

Even movies like Reign of Fire and Dungeons and Dragons portrayed most of the mystical beasts as ferocious, man-eating (and burning) creatures. And you can't forget about Godzilla, although most will say that he was some kind of dinosaur/iguana, but at least one of his adversaries was a dragon.

These dragons were always going after our women, our children, and our neighborhoods.

However, while watching Pete's Dragon and Puff the Magic Dragon, I was introduced to a different kind of dragon. A friendly, peaceful one. And then there were also the dragons of Dragonheart (I and II) and The Never Ending Story. These creatures were nothing like the ones I had learned about. So where did they come from?

The short answer is they came from the East. In Eastern philosophy, especially Chinese, the dragon is a divine creature. In the East (as well as some other philosophies such as Feng Shui, Celtic, Draconia Wicca, Gnostic, and Alchemy), the dragon represents a supreme being offering hope, courage, and good fortune. It is also a symbol of transformation, personal and spiritual quest, and wisdom.

Where in the stories I had heard before dragons are guardians of treasures and prisoners, in this new philosophy they are protectors of not only humans and valuables, but of spiritual perfection, itself. Yet every dragon, Eastern or Western, friend or foe, is a symbol of power.

When I glance around the room I'm sitting in, I see a resin fantasy dragon collectible of two creatures viciously fighting. Upon seeing this figurine, I don't think of evil, instead I think strength and power. On the other side of the room (on the east side per Feng Shui guidelines) is a Chinese dragon carved out of a dark wood-it makes me feel peaceful.

Dragons are often portrayed as fierce, fire-breathing creatures that are bringers of destruction and will take down anything in their way. We see this in legends and literature and movies in both Western and Eastern culture. However, they are also the protectors of spirituality and good wealth. What do dragons mean to you?




Jeff Bronson is the owner of Obscuria.com, a darkly unique Gothic shop.
Obscuria not only offers a quality selection ofdragon figurines and dragon collectibles, but many custom made, exclusive in the U.S items.

0 comments:

Post a Comment